MOBC Reading Incentive Guidelines
ABOUT THE READING INCENTIVE PROGRAM
The Reading Incentive Program is sponsored by the Educational Support Team of Mount Olive Baptist Church. Students who successfully complete the 9-week program will earn awards detailed in the Awards section below.
The selected books for the program are African-American inspired, with the following targeted objectives:
- Actively engage students in the reading process,
- Spark or renew students’ interest in reading, and
- Motivate students to not simply learn to read, but to experience the joy of reading to learn.
Mount Olive Baptist Church students in grades K-12 are eligible to participate.
The reading program will begin MONDAY, MARCH 8, 2021 and end MONDAY, MAY 10, 2021.
Click on your grade-level to locate the appropriate book list and to access the following links:
- Reading Log
- Reading Comprehension Report
- Students must complete a minimum of ten hours (600 minutes) of recreational, non-school related reading during the program period. Submissions will not be accepted after midnight, Monday, May 10, 2021.
- Students should select books from the appropriate grade-level book list.
Books from the Book List are accessible at your public and school libraries. If you are unable to obtain books from the list, you may substitute a comparable African-American authored or African-American inspired book.
- Students should read on their own; however, parents may occasionally read to younger students.
- Students are not limited to a maximum number of books, but a minimum of two (2) books must be read.
REPORTING AND SUBMISSION
To capture a record of students’ reading and to assess their understanding of what was read, the following During Reading and After Reading steps must be completed:
During Reading: The student will submit a Reading Log after each reading session until a book has been read in its entirety. A reading session must be a minimum of 15 minutes. Each entry requires a parental e-signature, as well as a barcode registration number for verification. This barcode number will be assigned upon registration.
After Reading: After a book has been read in its entirety, the student will submit his/her final Reading Log AND complete and submit a Reading Comprehension Report. If you have any questions about the submission process, please email the following grade-level representative:
- K-2 Joanne Johnson at [email protected]
- 3-5 Sandra Yarbough at [email protected]
- 6-8 Marva Bernard at [email protected]
- 9-12 Bernita Jackson at [email protected]
Students who successfully meet the reading requirements and reporting and submission criteria, having read a minimum of 600 minutes, will receive a
- Certificate of completion,
- Mount Olive Book Club t-shirt, and
- $25 Grubhub gift card
Students who do not meet the reading requirements and reporting and submission criteria, having read a minimum of 300 minutes, will receive a
- Certificate of participation and
- Mount Olive Book Club t-shirt
Students who read less than 300 minutes will receive a
- Certificate of participation
To participate in the Reading Incentive Program, please complete and submit the online registration form by FRIDAY, MARCH 5, 2021 at 5:00 PM. Retain the barcode registration number for electronic submissions.
HAPPY READING, FROM THE MOBC EDUCATIONAL SUPPORT TEAM!!!